Monday 14 November 2016

Politics

I've been thinking these last few days, mulling solemn events of more than a little significance. Wondering if there's finally a chance that certain people will finally have to face up to some reality. Realistically I have to put the odds at no better than 1 in 10, and the odds that some justice will be administered even lower, at least though there's a chance now. I'm not talking about e-mail servers, I'm not talking about Syria or the fictional distinction between good insurgents and bad insurgents. I'm not even talking about Iraq, I'm talking about where it all began, the Balkans. So long ago now it seems more than a lifetime and for more than a few, it has been exactly that.

The Balkan conflict in the former Yugoslavia is significant because it's when we started lying to ourselves. It's point the marks the departure from partisan bias in the media and the transition to state serving propaganda. And you know what, it's been a fucking trial living with it but at least now, I have that extra bit of insight into what living under an autocratic regime feels like; even if my level of comfort and safety has been maintained far above the level of those burdened by such circumstance. That's the irony really, it was done in the name of my benefit and for those in other nations and yet would the twin towers still stand had the a certain foreign intelligence agency, not been busily doing business with individuals like Osama in the Balkans? Would I be able to travel across the Atlantic without getting my privates groped?

A cynic would say: hens coming to roost, I am a cynic but those words are too bitter and too callous for me and the implication is not true. Consequences follow inevitably but the price seems always to be enacted upon the innocent, men and women at work. Of course, none of us are so innocent any more, the taint of guilt runs deep, it marks the complacent and acquiescent in equal measure. It seems fitting that like those without conviction in a significant cause, we're left chasing flags of no meaning in purgatory, as our culture decays into paltry divisions.

Maybe there's a way out, I dunno I don't have a crystal ball but here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment